Owls Overmatched By Bates
(PRESQUE ISLE, ME) -- Bates College senior Allie Beaulieu scored 19 points to put her over 1000 for her career and lead the Bobcats to a 80-38 road victory over the University of Maine-Presque Isle in women's basketball on Tuesday night. Bates is now 6-7 on the season while the Owls fell to 2-9.
Coming into the game, Beaulieu needed 9 points to hit the 1000 mark and did not waste time getting the personal milestone out of the way early. The guard hit her first three, three-point attempts, the last one coming at the 14:16 mark in the first half to not only hit it on the head but also give her Bobcats a 14-2 lead.
The Bobcats utilized their phrenetic paced transition offense to keep the Owls on their heels the rest of the way, never letting the home team get closer than 10.
Two other scorers joined Beaulieu in double-figures on the evening: Meredith Kelly had 17 while Molly Brown came off the bench to chip in 13.
For the Owls, who had a modest two-game winning streak snapped, they were led by guard Emily Pelletier (Sr./Fort Kent, ME). Pelletier shot a perfect 5-5 from the free throw line to help her put up 11.
Taylor Cochran (Fr./Topsfield, ME) came off the bench in her first home game to contribute 9 points and 4 rebounds (all offensive).
Presque Isle will get a few days off before returning to action this weekend when they host the Star City Classic. UMaine-Fort Kent, Thomas College, and Fisher College will be on campus for the 4-game, classic format event.
On Saturday, action will start at 6pm when Fort Kent faces Thomas. Then at 8pm, Fisher will take on the Owls.
On Sunday, Fort Kent will again begin the day, this time at noon, when they battle Fisher. In the "nightcap" Presque Isle will challenge Thomas. Start time for that game will be 2pm.
* The Bobcats shot 50% (8-16) from three-point range in the game. Beaulieu alone was 5-7.
* After struggling at the free throw line in their past two victories (under 50% in both), the Owls were bolstered by Pelletier's 5-5 to shoot an improved 69% (11-16) on Tuesday night.
* Cochran elicited a rise from the crowd when late in the game, she set a legal, but bone jarring screen on Bobcat Molly Brown near midcourt. Brown was staggered but ultimately ok and remained in the game.
* After getting snowed in after their victory over SUNY-Canton on Sunday, the Owls spent over 13 hours on a bus on Monday getting back to Presque Isle.
* Owls' center Janel Sewell did not play vs. the Bobcats due to an injury suffered in Canton on Sunday.