Owls Clinch 2-0 Road Trip With Win Over Canton
(CANTON, NY) -- Randi Kaplan (So./Embden, ME) made her only shot of the game count. With 1:32 remaining and her UMaine-Presque Isle Owls clinging to a three-point lead over host SUNY-Canton, Kaplan took a pass from teammate Amanda Hotham (Fr./Fort Fairfield) on the right wing, spotted up, and drained the three-point shot that would wind up being the dagger to the Roos Sunday night. Canton would only manage 1 more point the rest of the way as the Owls went on to win, 54-46.
The win moves Presque Isle to 2-8 for the season. Canton falls to 6-6.
Early on, things looked good for Canton as they jumped out to a quick 6-1 lead. But three consecutive 3-pointers by Emily Pelletier (Sr./Fort Kent, ME), Hotham, and Pelletier again put the Owls up 10-7. The lead see-sawed for much of the half after that with five ties and three lead changes before the Owls took a six-point advantage (28-22) at the break thanks to a 13-4 run over the final 4:07.
The Owls went wire-to-wire with the lead in the 2nd half but could never quite shake the Roos. Pelletier hit one of her five 3-pointers to put Presque Isle up 48-43 at the 3:03 point. But Canton point guard Alicia Uhlien came down the court and responded with an immediate layup to once again make it a one possession game.
After a turnover, the Roos had a chance to pull closer or even tie the game, but Darby Toth (Fr./North Port, ME) stepped in front of Karyss Terrance and drew a charge. On the other end, the Owls got three looks at the basket thanks to offensive rebounds by Kaplan and Hotham, before Kaplan's back-breaking three.
Pelletier led Presque Isle with 17 points. Hotham came off the bench to contribute 8 points and 8 rebounds. Olivia McNally (Jr./Sherman, ME) scored 11 and dished out 7 assists.
UMPI begins a stretch of eight home games in their next nine contests on Tuesday when they play host to Bates College. Gametime is 5:30pm.
* After going winless in their first 8 games, the Owls are now 2-0 in 2013. They defeated Fisher College on Friday in Boston, 56-44.
* Pelletier, who drove 4 hours from an Athletic Training conference in Buffalo to make it to the game an hour before gametime, shot 50% from 3-point range (5-10).
* Last season, Pelletier hit 8 three-pointers at Canton during a 58-56 come-from-behind win for the Owls.
* SUNY-Canton entered Sunday's game ranked #12 in the latest USCAA Division I Coaches' Poll.
* The two teams will meet each other again in Presque Isle on January 26th.