(LYNN, MA) -- Amanda Hotham (Fr./Fort Fairfield, ME) came off the bench to score a career high 20 points to lead the University of Maine-Presque Isle women's basketball team to a 56-44 victory over host Fisher College Friday night. The win was the first of the season for the Owls, who move to 1-8. Fisher remains winless at 0-11.
Playing in their first game after the final exams / holiday break, both teams struggled to score early. The Owls appeared to be heading into halftime trailing on the road, down 23-18 with 4:15 left. But Hotham scored 6 points in a 8-3 run to tie the game 26-26 at the break.
Presque Isle established and maintained a lead of four points or less for most of the 2nd half. Finally, up 45-42 with 3:29 remaining, the Owls outscored the Falcons 11-2 to close out the game.
It was a trio of freshmen: Hotham, Doni Yendriga (Fr./Conneaut, OH), and Taylor Cochran (Fr./), that led the scoring charge for Presque Isle in the second half. The rookies accounted for 22 of UMPI's 30 second half points.
Yendriga finished with her first career double-double (11 points, 10 rebounds), while Cochran scored 8 points and pulled down 12 rebounds in 18 minutes of work. Guard Olivia McNally (Jr./Sherman, ME) also dished out a career high 10 assists in the win.
The Falcons were paced by two double-digit scorers, Javana Bernard, 22, and Porsha Grayson, 14.
After a travel day on Saturday, the Owls will look to remain unbeaten in the new year on Sunday when they arrive in Canton, NY to face the Roos of SUNY-Canton. Gametime is set for 4pm.
- The start of the game was delayed an hour after a communication error caused there to be no officials in the gym at the scheduled 5pm start time.
- The Owls were without leading scorer Emily Pelletier (Sr./Fort Kent, ME) who was attending an Athletic Training Conference in Buffalo, NY.
- The Owls held a 57-32 advantage in rebounding, the first time this season theyhas out-rebounded its opponent.
- All 9 Owl players in uniform Friday night saw action and scored points.
- These two teams will face each other again next weekend when the Falcons travel to Presque Isle to take part in the Star City Classic along with UMaine-Presque Isle, UMaine-Fort Kent, and Thomas College.
- For Cochran, it was her first game in an Owl uniform after joining the team in December.