Fisher-UMPI Rubber Match Goes to Owls
(PRESQUE ISLE, ME) -- Patrick Manifold (Sr./Great Yarmouth, UK) scored 31 points and pulled down 10 rebounds to lead the University of Maine-Presque Isle men's basketball team to an 81-65 home win over Fisher College.
The phrase "familiarity breeds contempt" certainly applied Sunday afternoon as the two teams got physical in this, their third meeting of the season. A total of 40 fouls were called and 54 free throws shot as the Owls won for the 2nd time over the Falcons. Presque Isle improved to 10-12 while the NAIA Division II Falcons fell to 8-18.
The two teams traded buckets for nearly the game's first 10 minutes, with UMPI holding a 19-16 lead at the 9:42 mark. That is when UMPI's "British Connection" helped open up some breathing room. Manifold and his english countryman Michael Warner (Jr./Norwich, UK) combined to score the Owls next nine points, staking them to a 30-20 advantage. That is a lead they would maintain the balance of the half, leading 34-25 at the break.
Fisher battled back in the 2nd half and at 13:49, a Kyle Murphy (Orlando, FL) jumper actually gave them the lead, 42-40. Warner however, evened the game and then took the lead back with a jumper followed by a 3-point play.
The game remained nip and tuck until Manifold and Warner once again teamed up to, this time, provide a knockout punch. Up only 5, 65-60 with 4:47 remaining, the tandem scored the game's next 12 points. By the time the Owls sent Falcon Ryan McCorkle (Bellevue, WA) to the free throw line with 1:10 remaining, they held a comfortable 77-60 lead.
Warner finished with 24 points, the 5th time this season he has scored over 20.
Claude "Shmoke" Louis (Jr./Union, NJ) had the best game of an Owl born west of the Atlantic, nearly pulling out a triple-double with his 10 point, 8 rebound, 8 assist performance.
McCorkle led the Falcons with 21 points.
Presque Isle will host their final home contest of the season when they welcome rival UMaine-Fort Kent this Thursday, February 7th at 7:30pm. It will be Senior Night as the Owls will honor their three seniors in a pregame ceremony: Manifold, Brad Trask (Sr./Easton, ME), and Gerardo Vasquez (Sr./Houston, TX).
* The Owls played and defeated Fisher, 61-59, back on December 1st, 2011, in the consolation game of the Colby Classic. The Falcons got a win back on January 4th when they bested UMPI, 80-70, in Massachusetts.
* Manifold was named the Bradley's Citgo and Carwash "Player of the Game." The double-double was his 6th of the season.
* With 3 games remaining, the Owls still have an opportunity to finish above .500 this season. The team recorded only 3 wins in 2011-2012.
* Warner has scored 20+ points in four of his last seven games.
* The intensity of the game finally spilled over with 1:24 left in the game when the Falcons got hit with two technical fouls. Warner went to the free throw line and hit 3 of the 4 freebies.
* Manifold, a 57% free throw shooter this season, hit 11-14 (78%) on Sunday.