Weekend Baseball Preview: Newbury at Me.-Presque Isle
Newbury (MA) College at UMaine-Presque Isle
April 27th 1pm / 4pm
Shawn T Mansfield Field (Bangor, ME)
1st meetings this season
University of Maine-Presque Isle OWLS
|Head Coach||Leo Saucier (9th Season)|
4-21-13 Doubleheader at Eastern Maine CC
Game 1: OWLS 11, EMCC 0
|Affiliation||NCAA Division III & USCAA|
|Conference||Association of NCAA Division III Independents|
|About the Owls||
* This weekend's games were to be the first home ones for the Owls this season after 30 straight road contests to start the year. Instead, due to unplayable field conditions in Northern Maine, the games will be played 2.5 hours south in Bangor, ME at the Shawn T. Mansfield Field.
* The Owls are 6-3 in their last nine games and come in to Saturday's action with a 3-game winning streak. The three losses in that stretch have come by 1, 2, and 3 runs respectively.
* In his last two starts, Jake Fillebrown (Sr./Stoneham, ME) is 2-0 with a 1.29 ERA, 0.83 WHIP, and 13 strikeouts.
* Daniel Lewis (Jr./Gardner Mines, NS) is making the most of more plate appearances lately. After going 2-18 through April 13th, Lewis has played 7 of the Owls last 8. In that stretch he is hitting .458 (11-24) with a home run and 7 RBI.
Newbury College NIGHTHAWKS
|2013 Record||8-26 (2-16 in NECC)|
|Head Coach||Kraig Kupiec (3rd Season)|
Worcester State College 4, Newbury College 3
|Affiliation||NCAA Division III|
|Conference||New England Collegiate Conference (NECC)|
|About the Nighthawks||
* Despite leading his team in batting average (.324) and RBI (23), Ryan Zahornasky's most impressive stat could be his walk to strikeout totals. The freshman from Shelton, CT has coaxed 20 free passes from opposing pitchers while striking out a mere 6 times.
* Pitcher Daniel Lumb is sporting a robust 8.55 ERA, however he has a team high 31 strikeouts to only 10 walks.
* As a team, Newbury has drawn 51 bases on balls in games played away from home in 2013. Comparatively the team has walked only 23 times at home.