Presque Isle, Maine – University of Maine at Presque Isle Athletics is excited to announce the return of spectators for indoor Winter competitions. Wieden Gymnasium will allow fans for the 2021-22 men and women's basketball seasons, with certain safeguards in place due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- Face coverings/masks are required for all persons when indoors at all University of Maine System facilities, including Wieden Gym.
- All fans at UMPI home basketball games age 12 or older will be required to show proof of a COVID-19 vaccination, or proof of a negative COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) within 72 hours prior to entry. "At home" tests will not be accepted. Accepted proof of vaccination will include: Valid CDC COVID-19 vaccination card, a photocopy of a valid CDC COVID-19 vaccination card, a photo of a valid CDC COVID-19 vaccination card, or a UMaine-Presque Isle PointNClick green confirmation screen. On January 4, 2022 this policy will change to include all fans 5 and older.
- Children 11-and-under will not be required to submit proof of a negative COVID-19 test or a valid COVID-19 vaccination. On January 4, 2022, this will change to children 4 and under will not be required to submit proof of a negative COVID 19 test or a valid COVID-19 vaccination.
- All fans at UMPI home basketball games will be permitted to enter 45 minutes prior to the scheduled tip-off time for the contest.
- Food and beverages will not be permitted inside Wieden Gym.
These policies will start on the Owls first home game, Saturday, November 6
Failure to comply with COVID-19 protocols will result in removal from Wieden Hall.
"We couldn't be happier to have fans back on campus to support our Owls as they compete this fall," said Executive Director of Athletics Dan Kane. "Our campus and Presque Isle community has always had tremendous support for our athletic teams, and it will be great to have our fans back to help create that UMPI home atmosphere that makes our home contests so special."
Spectators are not allowed in the team/employee areas, we ask that you remain on the spectator's side of Wieden Hall. Spectator policies could change depending on current trends and the most recent guidance from the Maine CDC, University of Maine System, and the NCAA. Spectators will be asked to not sit on the front row of the bleachers to help maintain a safe distance from the competing athletes. Handicap seating will be provided upon request.
Whenever UMPI athletic teams travel for competitions, spectators are expected to adhere to the host institution's most current policies. UMPI fans should always ask for an institution's policies before traveling as every campus is different and some campuses are not currently allowing visiting team spectators.